INDRA NOOYI – DEFINING LEADERSHIP
Indra Nooyi is the emphatic voice of PepsiCo, one of the largest and most popular American multinational food and Beverage Corporation. Currently, Indra Nooyi is the chairman and chief executive officer (CEO) of PepsiCo.
Her leadership qualities and zest for work are the reasons, she was ranked 2nd in the ‘Most Powerful Woman’ by Fortune in 2015. Even today, PepsiCo bestows the finest food, snacks and beverages which is admired and appreciated by everyone.
Indra Nooyi once stated,”As a leader, I’m tough on myself and I raise the standard for everybody; however, I am very caring because I want people to excel at what they are doing so that they can aspire to be me in the future.” This shows that she is one of the greatest CEOs and leaders who believes in involvement of employees in work with their energized souls.
Indra has strong communication skills which always lead her to discuss the topics that matter. She promoted healthy foods for people in PepsiCo and suggested to stay away from junk foods which disturb our health in the long run. Her these steps attracted many customers which generated huge revenue to the company.
Let’s see rigorous journey of Indra Nooyi to the stairs of PepsiCo and how she developed leadership qualities through her struggles.
Indra Nooyi’s full name is Indra Krishnamurthy Nooyi. She was born in Tamil Nadu, India on 28th October 1955. She completed her studies and received bachelor’s degree in Physics, Chemistry and mathematics in Madras.
Indra joined Indian Institute of management in Calcutta and completed her management studies in 1976. She debuted her career in Johnson & Johnson as a manager. After gaining some experience, she went to Yale School of Management in New Haven, United States.
It was the year of 1994, when Indra joined the PepsiCo. Her manifestation of dedication towards work made her CFO in the company in 2006. According to Indra Nooyi,”If you want to improve the organisation, you have to improve yourself and the organization gets pulled up with you.”
She was promoted and became the president & CEO of the PepsiCo. She introduced healthy products and encouraged everyone to shift to the healthy foods instead of jumping on junk food. Later, Indra Nooyi commanded to remove aspartame from the products of PepsiCo.
- Forbes magazine named her consecutively from 2008 to 2017 in The World’s 100 Most Powerful Women.
- US News & World report, a media company declared Indra Nooyi as the best leader of 2008.
- She was selected as the chairwoman of the U.S. – India Business Council (USIBC), organization which promotes private sectors of India and United States for the investment flows.
- Indra was also awarded by the president of India, Pranab Mukherjee at Rastrapati Bhavan in 2013.
- In the same year, she was declared among the ‘25 Greatest Global Living Legends’ by the NDTV.
You can also watch Indra Nooyi’s 10 rules for success.
Some of the famous and inspiring quotes of Indra Nooyi are:
- Take a stand. Be known for your courage and confidence.
- I wouldn’t ask anybody to do something I wouldn’t do myself.
- Your ancestors invented soda and then it was exported to the rest of the world. And guess what? I’m here, as an immigrant, making it healthier.
For more quotes, click here.
Indra Nooyi is considered as the greatest CEO of today’s time. From Tamil Nadu to the CEO of the PepsiCo, it is the leadership skills and dedication toward work of Indra Nooyi which helped her climbing the stairs of success. Indra Nooyi has always been supported by her family and she thinks it as the biggest factor in shaping her career.
Once she told that, “I’m very honest- brutally honest. I always look at things from their point of view as well as mine.” Her new strategies to make products much healthier made good profit to the company and helped customers to achieve health goals.
Image source: Google